A Travellerspoint blog

Mummies, baklava and fish sandwich...last rites of Istanbul

sunny 27 °C

What does one do on their last day in Istanbul? When you know you fly out in the late afternoon it's kind of weird filling in your day. But I had two things left on my Istanbul to do list. One: the Archaeology Museum. Two: Baklava.

It is another sunny day in Istanbul and I know that it will be quite some time before I experience this kind of warmth again.

After a slow morning where I miraculously fit EVERYTHING in my pack, I treated myself to an espresso macchiato which was more like a very small cappuccino. Still, it was real coffee! I can already hear the sound of the espresso machine at home as I make my strong, skinny soy latte... And it won't cost me 5.50TYL! But then I did get to listen to some Ben Harper this morning whilst I was there and have the coffee guy keep asking me if I understood what he was saying, which was pretty much 'can you understand?' I certainly could understand that.

Off to the Archaeology Museum I go. Along with about seven classrooms of eight year olds. I am soooo glad I made it there. Only 10TYL and I loved it. I kept snapping and snapping away and I literally have 1 photo left on my camera. Just one. So I better not see anything else worth taking a photo of. Also scattered around the museum were art students which gave the place a 'living art' feel. I am again amazed at the museums in Turkey. You can touch nearly everything. Well you are allowed to but I just couldn't do it. In some parts you were not able to take photos with a flash or with a tripod. Which of course basically meant that if you don't have a steady hand...very blurry (or I like to call them artistic) shots is all you get.
IMG_9551.jpg IMG_9631.jpg
In the early afternoon I wandered across the Galata bridge with the anticipation of baklava spurring me on. And of course it was worth it!!! A box to take home and two to indulge on the spot. It is my last day after all. On the way back I grabbed a fish sandwich from the dramatically rocking fishing boat on the water. After eradicating the smell of fish from my hands I began to stroll through the masses of people. Where would I spend my last remaining hours in Istanbul?
Back to my favourite hiatus. Gulhane (Gool-hahn-e) Park. Again there were kids everywhere but they didn't hound me this time. Instead their laughter and squeals of delight added to the atmosphere. A few texts from home and I am ready to jump on that plane. Mum tells me there may be a delay at the end due to the swine flu panic. Lucky for me I'm as healthy as a horse...well, an Australian horse not one from the Princes' Islands.

Wandering through the market area I'm not hassled any more as they seem to know I'm not buying. I go to my local supermarket (really more like a milk bar) and he again gives me a free gift with such enthusiasm - more dental gum! Not sure if he is trying to tell me something.

Back to the hostel - my bags are still there in the cleaners room. And here I sit waiting for my shuttle bus to arrive. I can't believe it is almost over. This trip has exceeded my expectations - which were pretty high!

Posted by JanelleK.Woods 05:11 Archived in Turkey

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.